Do little things really matter?

Going to camp is a highlight of my kid's summers.  This is the first summer in the past several that my daughter hasn't spent several weeks on staff and one as a camper.  My son loves camp too.  They haven't missed a year since the 4th or 5th grade.  This morning they were off to camp again, my son as a camper and my daughter as a counselor.

As my son was getting the check for his camp fee, I let him know that I included a little extra for him to make sure he would have plenty to get him home.  He casually mentioned that's what Grandma did too.  I didn't have a clue what he was talking about until he reminded me that Grandma always gave him a little extra to take with him to camp.  It was a little thing, but it was something he remembered about his grandma and it almost brought tears to my eyes.

This reminds of something that Jesus said in Matthew 25:40.  He said, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to me."  Now there is a whole lot of context here and I hope you will go back and read this section of Scripture to find out the story.

It's so easy to get busy and forget to look around us to see the needs of others.  Sometimes these needs are more than we can handle and all we can do is offer encouragement and prayer.  Other times it is little things.  Things like a hug when someone is hurting, a listening ear to someone who knows they can trust you not to repeat their sorrows, a piece of candy to a sad toddler.  These are little things, but they are things that matter.

As you take some time to enjoy the little things today, what little thing can you do to encourage someone else?

Comments

Valerie said…
Yes! Cheri, the little thing do matter! That is so sweet that your son totally blessed you with his casual comment about what is Granny did each time he went to camp!
Be blessed,
Valerie Martin

Popular posts from this blog

Operation Write Home Memorial Day Blog Hop

Christmas Inspirations Blog Hop - Christmas Journal 2012

Monster Mash Blog Hop